Friday, June 13, 2014

Mammoth Cave System, Kentucky

I've been very slowly working through my back log of images from the last eight months and am now back to posting things!

Last September, I took a venture to Mammoth Caves near Bowling Green, Kentucky.  Unfortunately, tripods weren't allowed in the cave, so I didn't get as many images as I would have liked, but I am happy with the few that turned out! The cave system is the longest in the world; it goes under most of Kentucky and Northern Tennessee.  The main cave is absolutely massive, and has been used as shelter for hundreds of years. Ruins of ancient civilizations cover parts of the cave's interior.  One of my favorite parts of the main cave was called The Star Chamber.  A ceiling full of scratches resembles the night sky.  Our guide for the tour of the main cave (you can't really wander around by yourself) was phenomenal, and her detailed history of the cave was fun to listen to. I grew up in Southwest Montana, where our caves are dripping and wet, floor to ceiling stalagmites and stalactites. Mammoth cave only has one real chamber with formations in it, but that didn't diminish the amazingness that was this cave experience.

Star Chamber

Our guide to the cave

A walkway going up from an underground river. 
In super rainy times, this chamber is fully flooded.

The one formation chamber! 

No comments:

Post a Comment