Monday, June 16, 2014

Cross Country Adventure: Kansas to North Carolina Part 2

After departing Missouri and the Farm, I had an 18 hour drive ahead of me. I decided that I would stay the night in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and photograph the town.  In the morning, I would head over the Smoky Mountains to Cherokee, North Carolina and photograph that town.  My plans changed a little bit when I got to Pigeon Forge and saw how ludicrous it was. I spent much more time photographing there than I would have thought. Pigeon Forge is home to several attractions, including Dollywood, and there are some very interesting tourist things going on. One that especially caught my eye was the Titanic museum.  They had rebuild the front half of the ship, to half scale, complete with an iceberg and a small reflecting pond. Being the history geek that I am, the Titanic has always held fascination for me, and it was pretty neat to photograph the ship, even if it was only a recreation.  On the way out of town, I found a sign leading to a historic covered bridge.  I made the short detour and photographed the bridge, built in 1875.

The drive over the Smoky Mountains wasn't as spectacular as I was hoping.  I'm from the Rockies, and I'm a bit of a mountain snob.  While beautiful, the Smokies aren't as enormous as what I'm used to, but it was still nice to see some mountains after the flatness of Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, and Tennessee.  I stopped in Cherokee, but the weather was getting to be pretty bad (torrential rainfall), so it was a very quick stop.  Five hours later, I pulled into Fayetteville, my new home.

The Comedy Barn getting a new screen


One of the many mini golf sites

The Inn at Christmas Place

Lumberjack Feud  From what I gather, this is similar to a 
Medieval Times restaurant. 


Mailbox outside of a wax museum














A "mill" in part of the old western bit of Pigeon Forge

Wonderworks



The covered bridge



\
Bluejay

A thrift shop in Cherokee, NC


A place selling boiled peanuts as well as rat cheese



No comments:

Post a Comment