Friday, January 2, 2015

Virginia: Shenandoah

The town I live in is less than three hours away from Shenandoah National Park, so once the leaves began to change, I hopped in my car and drove north. I missed the really colorful trees by about a week or so, but it was still neat to go to Shenandoah. For the most part, it was foggy and rainy the whole time I was there. I wanted to do more night photography, but the fog made that pretty impossible as the night wore on. I took a small hike the second day I was there, but the fog made any of the more lengthy hikes a bit dangerous. Overall, I was pretty happy with the trip even if I didn't get to see a lot of the park. What I did get to see was very beautiful, and the park warrants a second trip, probably in the spring.

On the way home, I swung by Appomattox and visited the McLean House where General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant thus ending the Civil War. It was a place that I always have wanted to visit, but I ended up being disappointed by it. Appomattox is largely a recreation, and several of the artifacts from the house aren't located on the premises but in Washington D.C. The museum at the Courthouse was really well done, however, and even though I had studied the Civil War in college, I still learned some new things.






The McLean House










No comments:

Post a Comment